Friday, June 21, 2013

There Is No Easy Way To Say This

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have been doing a LOT of traveling lately and it always provides such a bounty of WTFotos.  Click on the picture to enbiggen.
 

I'm going to do my best at a translation:  if the remote doesn't turn the TV on, press the power button on the TV.  I think that sums it up pretty well.  It really doesn't need a 40 word paragraph (which includes an exclamation mark, a split infinitive, and a dependent adverbial clause) in order to say that.  And what in the hell does "if there isn't a reflection by... remote" supposed to mean?  I almost never expect my remote to reflect my TV.  I'm going out on a limb here and say that this was written by someone for whom English is a second language.

2 comments:

Frank said...

Why you no like my writing? I write very good for Lodgenet remote control. You no reflection of good writer, and you split infinitive.

Tom said...

@Frank,

Your writing has the ability for liking but my ability for reflection has been deflected.